Tuesday, February 16, 2016

CARREFOUR supermarket coffee adventure - part 2

Freshly roasted, freshly grinded

Did you know one can now grind coffee right in the supermarket on a pretty cool grinder? I saw this cool stand in Carrefour. Only for Tchibo fans so far. I think I'm going for some coffee soon... And so I did the next day. Yeah, I couldn't stand the temptation. It was calling me all the time I was shopping for groceries. Ok, here I am, let's figure out this Thcibo corner.
The rest of coffee present in the row is not meant to be grinded or bought using scales. There are couple other options worth looking at. But now let's get back to Tchibo. So, as you can see, there are three golden 'taps' with beans to choose from. Those are coffees from different areas. Mexica, Guatemala and African (kinda to blurry as for the name), I think. I chose Guatemala even though they all cost same 5.99zł (1.5$) per 100 gramm (15zł per 250 gr pack) which is not bad at all, considering that a pack of specialty coffee is usually between 40-60 zł.

I found special pretty bags of two available sizes next to the scales, picked the smaller one as I was going to buy just enough coffee to brew it maybe 2 times only and see how i like it. So I turned the tap, the beans fell into the pack and I got 30 gr at first. Yet, the scales told me by a message that it was too little. Ok, I got a bit more, 48 gr now. This time I was allowed to make a purchase. Wohoo!

Let's see how the Mahlkönig grinder works. Even though I am not totally new to coffee tools, I was glad to see a manual on the wall behind the scales. Simple, short, what else do we need? So I put the beans into the grinder's box on the top, attach the pack where the coffee is gonna come out, set how fine the grind is to be and press the ON button. However, there were couple things that caught my attention. The grinder was a bit messy. I found a brush there which is meant for cleaning the grinder after each customer. I wonder if anybody actually used it, cuz I got about a handful amount of coffee rests out and made the place even messier)). The scales lied a bit for there was no 'zero'. We started at 0,01. I guess it is not that big of a deal though. Maybe the weight of the pack is automatically added?

You could find a hint there on how fine you might want your grind, basically saying 'more fine for espresso, less fine for home brewing'. I would prefer slightly more detailed version, please. I set the grinder to a '6' out of 7 possible, meaning a pretty coarse grind. I'm guessing cuz i never used this particular one, but I believe I should be close to a filter coffee grind. If you prefer the french press, I would go for a '7'. In case you like the turkish way of making coffee, I'd go for a '1'.
Anyway, we all can figure out and get our coffee grinded there. And that is quite a pleasant surprise for coffee lovers! Things are definitely changing for the better.

So I hurry out of the store, run to the car. It is raining and kinda snowing same time. I worry the coffee might get wet. I have just a couple minute drive so I hope to brew Guatemala as soon as I get home. I usually start with higher temperature and move down to see what kind of a taste I get each time. You don't have to be such a freak and just brew it the best way you know how. I did a pour over at 92 Celsius (197.6 F), 21 gr of coffee, 350 ml of water. I stick to the 6 gr of coffee per 100 ml of water ratio. In case you don't care about all these details, just let the kettle sit for several minutes after boiling (maybe even 5) and then pour.

And you know what, it actually turned out pretty decent! What a surprise. Hardly bitter at all, with nice acidity, tasting kinda like black current to me. You might find different notes in it, but what is clear here is the result, and quite a good one. I didn't expect much of this coffee and it proved me wrong. A true adventure! Well done, Tchibo! I am ready for more...

No comments:

Post a Comment