Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Krakow and Coffee Proficiency

Krakow has indeed a lot to offer, and probably that's why it is usually crowded with tourists. Those old churches are huge and make an unforgettable impression on you! Having several extra pairs of feet to never stop walking around would be perfection. What about coffee though? I'd like to start with a place I was intentionally looking for.
After having my first Costa Rica Las Lajas by Coffee Proficiency, it became my favorite so far. That happened when I was rushing to an airport to pick up a speaker from US I would later interpret for. I might tell about that specific experience separately, but I can just say for now that it tasted and smelled like fruit. No bitterness, light acidity and the aroma... OMG! I don't know the magic these guys do, but it makes coffee truly outstanding.
Of course, I longed for more of it. At first, on a family vacation last winter, by some divine stirring, while walking Florianska St. the eye caught a familiar name on a coffee pack behind the glass of a desert shop. Immediately my feet stopped and turned that direction. The place looked like a cafe with bright colors, sweet and tasty treats, but had something more precious inside. Barista, equipment and, of course, THE coffee. We got into talking. The guy knows his business, or rather passion. On the first visit my wife and I had Ethiopia Yirgacheff. I often start with it cuz it is a familiar taste to me and I can try to compare it with other roasts I had before.
One year is a lot of time for my memory to remember the details, yet I probably looked like a happy kid whose dream just came true. Here it is! Coffee worth drinking, talking about and paying for. That winter night gave a start to a long term relationship with Coffee Proficiency magic.
On a second visit we had two other coffees, both pour over and aeropress brewed. It is a great feeling when you face a professional. So good to relax and just have him do his routine perfectly well. At times I like to sit/stand close and watch the whole process of coffee being made. This time was different. Also, when I have an option for filter coffee or an alternative brew method, I usually go for it. Like espresso more? Give it a try.

Next happy chance happened this past fall. Short trip, limited time, yet I had to stop by. And here it is (Przemysłowa 3, Kraków), I got to the very heart of the magic. Roast facility, office, shop and cafe same time. Pretty cool approach to interior. Haven't seen one like that before. One can sit on the second floor and watch the master roast. How cool is that ?! My friend and I had Ethiopia as usual, then Kenya. Awesome. Served in a glass carafe with two cups makes it perfect for two people, paying 5 zl a cup, just a bit over 1 dollar.
Still, that wasn't all. Surprise, they offered me to try a coffee shell drink. What? Really? Why not, let's see what it is...My word, it tastes like a dry fruit drink! Not really like coffee at all. I wonder if it has any caffeine. Not brewed in a usual way, just shells and hot water. In this particular case I had Cost Rica shell. What a coincidence. Of course it tastes like fruit! I bet the farmer has it grow on fruit trees somehow))). Trip to that farm is on my list indeed.

Time flew fast, an hour or two, hard to tell. My phone's battery ran out, yet I managed to find a guy with a mac and he was very kind to charge it. So hard to leave. I guess I could live there. Ok, back to reality, the bag is full of coffee, enough to survive for a month and treat my colleagues at work with premium espresso blend of 4 different kind of beans.
This place is a must stop on my way if (or rather when!) it crosses Krakow. Quiet, great atmosphere, friendly and tasty. Place to sit with a book or phone, relax and enjoy the heavenly taste.
Maybe I should note some negative traits of the place too to be fair. You know, I really don't have those in my mind. But in case you like cozy and home feel places, this one might look like a garage. I wonder whether ladies would appreciate the shop. I think I saw several girls hanging out and couple men actively discussing some business. I guess it is great if coffee comes first. I would have to go again and give it a fresh look some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment