Tuesday, February 23, 2016

ALDI supermarket coffee adventure - part 4

Capsules and E.S.E. pods

This was my first visit to Aldi ever. Heard of it to be a German chain of grocery stores with lower prices achieved by focusing on simplicity in interior design rather than comfort. Not ready to judge the prices, but would give you my general impression of the store. A neat parking lot and handy shopping carts (carefully protected from rain when stored outside) would be among the pleasant ones.
What do I see first on entering? It is so similar to Lidl! 4-5 rows of items, not very large. On top of food, offers a bit of everything, including clothes and some tools. Yet, I have one more goal than simply shopping for groceries.
What about coffee? One sees coffee offers from the very entrance door. Those are, of course, advertised items. Still, coffee fans will probably appreciate. Seeing coffee just sets me in a good mood. I keep in mind what I just saw and move along the rows.

So what is special about Aldi? I must say they have their own set of brands. Not same thing you see everywhere. In case you find something you like, you'll be back. Rivals just might not have it available. The more I explore, the more curious I become about what kind of coffee is offered here. Anything exclusive, local or unusual? Maybe more of German brands than others?
Other than several instant coffee options and 1 kilo bags with beans roasted for espresso machines Aldi has coffee capsules and even E.S.E. pods (circle shaped coffee bags). When I spotted those I remembered having a portable espresso machine Handpresso. Gotta find it somewhere in the pile of boxes stored before the move to Poland! Have you got one of those? Cool concept, isn't it? Imagine yourself driving outside the city, stopping somewhere in a picturesque spot, breathe some fresh air and sip a  hot espresso. Oh yes, it is heaven))).
These round coffee pods are my reason to come back to Aldi. I'm curious whether I can find them anywhere else. Yet, first I gotta find my machine! Ok,what should we say as a conclusion? The range of coffee here is not that wide at all. I couldn't find something suitable for filter coffee, for example.
Espresso lovers should be able to satisfy their thirst here. Several new names in instant coffee would be interesting to try out if instant is your choice. Aldi stands out among the rivals for being different. I love that. There is definitely a reason for it to exist, keep things simple and be itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment