Wednesday, May 11, 2016

TO LUBIĘ

Specialty Coffee From Dominican Monks In The Old Town

After the entertaining game of parking in Warsaw old town I was very much ready for good coffee. Stopping at one shop simply by chance turned out to be an outstanding experience. It kinda felt like opening that old wardrobe in Narnia movie. Coffee shop named 'To Lubię' which means 'Love it' is a treasure box indeed.
Even though there is an open area with umbrellas so common for most cafes, we felt like sitting inside. Was it windy or a bit chilly, I can't really remember. Anyway, the cafe itself is a tiny room on the ground floor and a slightly larger one upstairs. It totally feels like home in there!
I was so envious that lady was first to sit on the window sill! Man, it must be comfy up there. Actually, it was already reserved for the later time also, so I had no chance anyway. What a great way to utilize a window area. I've seen some before but this one looks like it actually is popular.
I couldn't stand the temptation to go up this cool old staircase. As if climbing up a tower. Oh, it actually is one. The shop is located in  the Dominican church tower. How cool is that!? However, second floor is couple tables, toys for kids, toilets and windows to enjoy the old town. I am a fan already. Yet, coffee must stand up to the challenge too, not just the facility. 

The menu has a shape of a small booklet, clear enough for my beginner's polish language))). Coffee comes as espresso, milk variations, additional tastes of honey, cinnamon, chili pepper  and so on. Hot or cold. These guys buy their beans from Kofi Brand, a local Warsaw roaster who works with specialty coffees. We had Brazilian Arabica and it was good. I mean it had both bitterness and acidity in a balanced manner. I enjoyed my double espresso, for it cost only 1 złoty more than a usual one. Ladies had americano with milk and my little son got his favorite meringue.

Coffee in To Lubię deserved to be on my list of favorites. Yet, what totally nailed it were the desserts. Oh my word, these guys do some magic cuz both chocolate cake and prunes pie were delicious. Moreover, baked apple pie with ice-cream on top made us speechless. 
To spice up the impression I will just add that one can buy wine and honey drink in bottles there. Apparently Dominican monks still make that popular in Poland honey drink. It is a great way to warm up in winter just like hot wine. Not sure about summer recipes though. Now you simply have to come feel the atmosphere, sip some good coffee and forget about all the trivial stuff while having dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment