Thursday, May 5, 2016

Grycan desert shops - part 3

Ice-cream with a legacy

GRYCAN chain of ice-cream shops is present in every mall or other popular spot among people in Warsaw, Poland. No wonder it was among first ones to make espresso for me. They don't do filter coffee, so I've had a dozen of espressos and milk drinks there. It takes only a 5 minute walk to the closest one and at times the distance and timing is what matters most.
I must say these guys take coffee seriously investing into quality grinders and espresso machines. The kind of coffee used is similar to other coffee shops without an ambition to surprise or please you with it. Simply coffee, no adjectives to it, you know. Grycan is about ice-cream and desserts. They are good at it indeed. There are at least 15-20 different tastes to ice-cream offered. I've had yogurt with mango, chocolate, pear, pistachio, and what not. Love it! Even if it is not as awesome as one made by italians, yet pretty decent for a local brand. Combinations of pies, ice-cream and similar are often revised and don't look boring at all.
Coffee is a commodity though. As for me, I have to add sugar and milk. I stopped having black coffee for it does taste better with milk here. There is a bonus system of 'have 8, get 1 free' available. Yet, somehow it is not offered on constant basis. Another thing I've noticed is that Grycan shops are often very busy which is a good thing, but when they are you can wait very long for your turn to order. After several times of waiting I simply don't stand in line and go somewhere else.
I must admit today was different. Though not attacked by customers but this one Grycan shop had 4 workers out there covering all areas: coffee, ice-cream, fresh juice and the rest. I went for a double espresso with milk and got similar taste as usual. It is good to know what you are getting, yet I'm not pleased with this coffee. It is rather a rough kind for those who like to wake up quickly and work hard right away after a cup like this.
What is great about Grycan is that it is easy to recognize even from a distance and you always get great dessert there. Keep up and please get some different coffee. I'm sure you would win some new customers!

No comments:

Post a Comment