Thursday, March 31, 2016

KAUFLAND supermarket coffee adventure - part 8

From 100% Robusta to ''breakfast'' and ''standard'' coffee

 Kaufland
This time we are gonna look at Kaufland supermarket, a brother of Lidl chain owned by same Schwarz group. Probably less numerous than chains like Carrefour or Biedronka, yet definitely present in the city and media. I was reminded of it by my car radio and radio at work. Yet, somehow I didn't see any of those on my rout to work or down town. So I googled it on the map as the time came to see what kind of coffee they offer.
 Not bad, ha? This very night I was actually looking for coffee to brew on ROK hand espresso machine that was kindly landed to me for about a week by my espresso coach Krzysztof from Kawa-Warszawa.pl. My original goal was to find dark enough yet little sour beans. Let's see if I succeed.
 ROK
Even though Kaufland is related to Lidl, they are totally different. Coffee wise as well. If Lidl on most days has a very short line of coffee available and some premium stuff on occasions, Kaufland meets you with quite a choice.
How about that? 100%...not Arabica but Robusta! I am surprised to see such honesty or is it a marketing trick? Robusta is rarely associated with tasty coffee, yet maybe in this case it is rather '100%' that stands out than the coffee plant type.
In case those numerous brands confuse you, there is simply "standard" coffee on the shelf. No need for extra info or details. Not my case, but somebody might appreciate such an approach.
Kaufland keeps surprising with items available. Cereal instant drink is something I never tried before. I'm guessing it is intended for coffee substitution. In the mood for something healthy and experiment? There is more!
How about malt coffee with zinc and vitamins from Anatol? I found one more items worth attention. It has both coffee and chicory (30%/58%). Claimed to be cellulose and magnesium source for you. It looks like instant coffee and substitutes have quite a share in the coffee market here in Poland.
As I was looking for espresso roast, my choice fell on Columbia by MK Cafe. It smelled gourgeous. When you press the pack a little, nice tempting flavour of roasted coffee is too strong to ignore.The price was not bad also. Around 15 zł (4$) a 250 gramm pack.
Overall, Kaufland has a decent coffee offer for common drinker. Also some fun and extravagant options of coffee substitutes. Not much to choose from for coffee freaks though.

P.S. After trying various grinds and temperatures, I still got too sour a coffee from ROK hand espresso machine with this MK Columbia. Now it is time to experiment with filter methods...

No comments:

Post a Comment