Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Relaks and relax more

A hidden jewel 

Minimalistic design, soviet looking apartment buildings, tiny park among those, trams and cars passing by. Life goes on. People rush to their workplaces. Happy ones with flexible schedule take their dogs for a walk during the day.

About a month ago I had some unplanned free time and spent it in a park on the other side of the street . If only I knew there was such a sweet place nearby! 'Relaks' on PuĊ‚awska 48 is a bit hidden from the main street. more than that, a so to say food triangle of a hamburger point, Italian restaurant and a vegetarian cafe would be the first to see through your vehicle window.

Anyway, Relax was on my list of places to visit on my move to Warsaw. I found it in coffee blogs this past fall. One friend of mine mentioned it couple days ago and I realised that I kinda forgot about my list of coffee shops to visit. Time to go find a new place is always a challenge so I just waited and waited for the chance. And here I come with my fam and a good friend of ours.

Unless you walk in, nothing really captures your attention on the outside. Simple sign, no expensive advertisement, blinking lights or music playing to catch your attention. Walls are covered with posters from several decades back into history. I could spend a day just reading those and meditating on the events of the polish past, for it has much in common with other eastern Europe countries.
Barista Dema moved to Warsaw from Kyiv and could tell my accent right away. He shared his excitement of working in an atmosphere of professional attitude to coffee. It was so good to meet somebody from your native land! These guys buy best beans, brew them and decide on what they are gonna sell in Relaks. We chose 1) Costa Rica roasted in Denmark and brewed in Kalita drip, and 2) Guatemala roasted in Krakow and brewed by Fetco automatic drip. I enjoyed the first one more. It seemed to have a stronger acidity and brighter taste.
As one might spend a good deal of time at Relaks, they offer some snacks, deserts and non-alcohol drinks. As i set on a couch with a cup of coffee I saw people living their lives in this place. There are business talks happening, shares being bought and sold through laptops, articles written, magazines read and so on.

Chalk board with a menu and shelves with coffee and alternative brew equipment are pretty standard nowadays for places like this. Yet that one with trophies from various contests does add certain respect for the business for you see the owner knows his stuff really well. It is more than money making, it must be a passion.
I loved every minute of my stay even though a dog licked on the quiche I naively left on the table while chatting with barista. Heating was a little to strong that day and I was hot. However, Relaks is on my list of favourites now. It ads a positive note to first days of spring that is still grey and foggy here in Warsaw. I heard there was one more Relaks downtown...

P.S. love that cup in the picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment